Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Bible Memorization Project - The Sequel

It seems to be a season of sequels.  As I scan the movie listings on the internet, I find myself drawn to preview movies that are continuations of ones I have already seen.  Why is that?  Mostly likely it is because I know it’s a good bet that if I enjoyed the original then I will probably delight in the follow-up.  I also like to re-engage with the familiar, in particular, characters and personalities that I had grown fond of.  I just love to reacquaint myself with memorable plots and characters revived in a new installment with a new title.  For me this is a combination that won’t disappoint.

Last year, Women’s Bible Study embarked on a journey of memorization.  Right about this time last December we decided to initiate a challenge to commit to memory 10 verses over 20 weeks.  It was called the Bible Memorization Project and it was a resounding success.  Not only did twenty plus women complete the challenge, but the testimonies of what God did through that project were nothing short of breathtaking.  The Lord came in and surprised us with His stunning brilliance as we allowed our minds and hearts to become saturated with His Word.  

As I already mentioned, I just love a good sequel.  So in keeping with the momentum of that premiere event we decided to launch another one like it:  The Bible Memorization Project – The Sequel.    This project will run much the same way as last year’s project.  The only difference is that we will be bringing in a slew of fresh scriptures which could only make this sequel as striking its predecessor. 

If you are new and didn’t participate in last year’s project, then this won’t be a sequel for you, this will be your premiere event.   We would love to have you participate with us.  We are believing that God is going to do something stunning through these twenty weeks as we yield our minds to meditate on His Word.   You won’t want to miss out on the blockbuster of a time that God has planned for us.  Won’t you join us? 

So here is how it works…

What is it?
1) We will memorize one verse and its reference every two weeks.
2) We will write the verse on an index card and number each verse corresponding to the week. 

Calendar
Verse 1 - January 10th – start date
Verse 2 - January 24th
Verse 3 – February 7th
Verse 4 – February 21st
Verse 5 – March 6th
Verse 6 – March 20th
Verse 7 – April 3rd
Verse 8 – April 17th
Verse 9 – May 1st
Verse 10 – May 15th

Verse rally day - you will recite your 10 verses to one of the Bible Memorization leaders – don’t forget your index cards.

The Prize
For all those that have met their goal we will have a luncheon to celebrate.  The only requirement to attend is to say your 10 verses to one of the Bible Memorization leaders. 

What Verse?
You can either pick you own verse or ask us to give you one.  You want the verse to have meaning to you so it should be something that is really relevant to your life. 

How to Memorize Verses?
Day one – Say the verse once looking at it then repeat it 10 times trying not to look. 
Day two and after – The same. 

If the verse is too long, break it down into portions: 
Day one – say the portion once looking at it then repeat it 10 more times.
Day two – say the first portion once looking at it then repeat it 10 times without looking at it.  Work on second portion.  Read it once then repeat it 10 more times. 
Day three – say the first portion ten times, say the second portion 10 times, then start on the third portion.

Never move on until you have each portion memorized.  Do this everyday and I believe that you will master the technique in no time at all. 

Accountability
Keeping yourself accountable is important because when someone else knows that you are memorizing, it will cause you to do it. 

1) Partners – Let someone know that you are memorizing, hopefully someone else who is, and keep each other accountable.  You can ask to listen to each others verses every two weeks.

2) Facebook – Every two weeks I will put my verse up on MWC Women’s Bible Study Facebook page and you can follow it with yours by writing it as a comment.

3) Blog – Every two weeks we will put a post up on the blog about what number verse we are up to.  Week one, week two ..etc and you can leave your verse as a comment. 

Last Word
In order to be successful at your memorization make sure that as we move through the weeks that you continue to recite the verses you have already committed. 

Thanks so much for dedicating this time to Bible Memorization.  I know that God is going to meet you and bless you in ways that you never imagined. 

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! I'm so excited to see how God will speak to me through his word. I'll get my family to hold me to the project. I plan to rally my family here in Florida to participate.
    I'd like to encourage all my sisters at MWC to participate and see what tremendous wonders God will do in 2012.
    Praise the name of Jesus!
    Merry Christmas to all.

    ReplyDelete