Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bible Memorization Project - The Sequel: Verse 8

A few weeks ago in Sunday service Pastor Ken spoke about the difference between ‘can’t’ and ‘won’t’.  This got me thinking.  In my life there are many things I can’t do.  A few of them are as follows:  I can’t clap (with  any kind of rhythm), I can’t go to Australia next week,  I can’t buy a Range Rover, I can’t calculate compounded interest rates in my head,  I can’t buy a few more dogs and I can’t walk into Starbucks with a gun, demanding  a grande café mocha.  I am sure you could name a few of your own!

Why is this?  We all have physical, financial, and time limitations in our lives.  Some things we can’t do because they are unwise. Some things are just illegal.

But what about spiritual limitations?  Today we begin memorizing verse 8 in our Bible Memorization Project.  For many, many years I said I couldn’t memorize scripture.  I tried to do it but, to be completely honest,  I gave up after a week or so.  The truth is, I can do it because I am doing it now.  What I’ve learned is that it does take effort. It’s a conscious pursuit.  Pastor Ken said last year, memorizing scripture is a spiritual discipline.  It is not a one day marathon. If you spend just 15 minutes a day concentrating on your current verse and reviewing those you have already memorized, God’s Word will become a part of you.

The Word says “His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness” (2 Peter 1:3).   We read in Mark 10:27, “Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God”. God tells us in Phil. 4:13, “For I can do everything through Christ,  who gives me strength”.  In Joshua 1:8 God also says “Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night”. If God is saying all this it seems pretty clear that we can memorize scripture.  He wouldn’t tell us to do something we couldn’t do.

Like those of you who committed to embark on this challenge, I want to be faithful to do what I told God I would do, that is memorize His Word.  He has met me in this.  If you are hearing in your head ’you can’t do this’, that is not God’s voice. I really want to encourage you.  You can do this!! If you are on track – excellent!! If you are not – get back in the race! Memorizing His Word is really about you and Him.  God will bless you as you walk in obedience and faithfulness in what you have set out to do.

So tell me, what is your 8th verse?


3 comments:

  1. "If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking." James 1:5

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lamentations 3:22,23
    Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
    vs 23
    They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Verse 9 Ephesians 3:16
    I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being,

    Blessings
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete