Friday, December 28, 2012

Daniel Fast - Sure Fire "Fast" Results

I have been pondering lately.  I have been wondering about this thing called fasting.  I have read plenty on the topic (at least three books to date), and listened to more than a few messages but still, I find my hold on this subject is much like grabbing a fistful of Jello.   What does one fast for anyway?  I have heard all manner of examples from spiritual breakthroughs, to salvation of family members, to miraculous healing, to financial provision, to…. I have heard bold testimonies of how God intervened in amazing situations but also quiet whispers where there were no apparent results at all. 

I struggle with the idea that if I participate in certain things, then and only then, God will intervene.  Maybe it is because I love food so much.   I just can’t make it all fit in my mind.  Maybe you are like me and you would like to see an example with “fast” results as a sure fire precedent.  It is always easier for me to believe God for something when I can find a place in scripture where it actually happened.  I honestly believe if God did it for them then He will do it for me.  It is just the way that I am wired.   I guess I should have been a lawyer.  I am forever looking for a precedent.

What if there was an account with an example that we could use as a model for “fast” results?  Something with an honest to goodness real life outcome.  What if there was an instance that illustrated what kinds of things you can know God will award on account of said fast?  Would you be interested?   Would it motivate you to take the fasting challenge?  If your answer is yes, then join with me in Daniel chapter one and let’s discover four sure fire reasons to fast. 

1) For your health.

At the end of 10 days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food.  So the guard took away their choice food and wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead.”  Daniel 1:15-16

This scripture doesn’t say that Daniel and his friends were sick and needed healing but it does say that they were healthier and better nourished than the young men who partook in the food at the kings table.  Participating in the Daniel fast doesn’t guarantee healing but does strongly suggest a healthier outcome.  Looking at our diets, I don’t see it too big a stretch for me to believe that if I lay down my double stuffed oreo cookie for a carrot stick for 21 days, I might just be a little bit healthier.  I am told that what we eat bears greatly on the health of our bodies.  I can’t help but wonder if the things I eat are working against the strength and vitality that God desires for me to have.

2) For knowledge and understanding.

To these four young men God gave knowledge and understanding of all kinds of literature and learning.“ Daniel 1:17a

What I love about this outcome is that God gave them knowledge and understanding regarding all kinds of literature and learning.  Not just in spiritual matters but in practical ones as well.  Does anyone but me need knowledge and understanding with the practical things in life?  Do you think this means that God could make you smarter as a student, mother, wife or employee?  Will He give you the ability to understand that research material, that book about raising kids, the fine lines written within your health insurance package, or those maddening instructions that are given to put together that “whatever” you just bought (always wondered who wrote those things)?  He did that for Daniel and his friends. 

3) For clarity of God’s vision for your life.

And Daniel could understand visions and dreams of all kinds.” Daniel 1:17b

Has God’s vision for your life gotten cloudy?  Do you need clarity?  Apparently God gave Daniel the ability to understand visions.  I don’t know about you but I could use a little windex on the window blocking my vision.  Evidently, through fasting it is possible to achieve that clarity.

4) For Promotion.

“In every matter of wisdom and understanding about which the King questioned them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and enchanters in his whole Kingdom”  Daniel 1:20

Are you looking for promotion?  Whether you are in a job or involved with ministry or just plain old living out the life that God has planted your feet on this earth for, could you use a little promotion?  This scripture tells us that God caused these men to be ten times better then all the most gifted men spiritually in the king’s whole kingdom.  Would you like to have that kind of promotion?  One that gives you the cutting edge whether it is against your competitors on the job or just being smarter then the average bear as you go through the daily-ness of your life.   I do.  I want an edge.  I need an edge. 

So what do you think?  Could you use any of those benefits?  Would being a healthier you be something that might motivate you to participate in the Daniel Fast?  If not that, how about some knowledge and understanding?  Not your thing?  Perhaps you need some clarity of vision or a long overdue promotion?  Which appeals to you most?

Last year I decided to participate in a self driven Daniel fast because I needed breakthrough in these four areas.   I consulted with my doctor to make sure it was wise (it was and I urgently suggest that you do this as well) and I fasted for these four succinct precedents.  While I didn’t see results immediately, looking back one year later I can overwhelming declare that I have grown healthier, I have gained wisdom and understanding in all kinds of learning (do I hear anyone say computer?), clarity of vision is continually evolving even as I write this, and I do feel like I have developed an edge over many of my worldly contemporaries.  Why? (and this is big)  Because my sole purpose is to do what I do on planet earth to glorify God.  If that is my underlying motive and these four outcomes are my goal, I believe that it will surely come to pass.

Are you convinced?  You have the evidence.  What are you going to do? 

Love you much!

No comments:

Post a Comment