Thursday, March 14, 2013

Jehovah Tsuri

This week we have been studying Jehovah Tsuri, The LORD is My Rock.  Pastor Grace began our lesson by giving us several instances in Scripture where the LORD is called s our Rock.  Moses proclaims in Deuteronomy 32:4, “He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just.  A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he."   What does it mean that the LORD is our rock? She reminded us that a rock is a place of safety and strength. It says in Psalm 144:1-2, “Of David. Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me."

Pastor Grace cautioned us about standing on man-made rocks. They will never be able to support us as Jehovah Tsuri can. She asked us to consider the effects of what happens when we choose to stand on a rock that is not the LORD. The result can be devastation, not only in our own lives, but the lives of those we love.  The words of Solomon attest to this fact: “The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down” (Proverbs 14:1).  Pastor Grace reminded us that we should tell the LORD that we want to trust Him as our rock.  He is worthy of our trust; "The LORD is upright; he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him” (Psalm 92:15).

We learned in the homework that the first time this name is used was to describe Joseph’s relationship with the LORD:  Joseph is a fruitful vine, a fruitful vine near a spring, whose branches climb over a wall.  With bitterness archers attacked him; they shot at him with hostility. But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed  limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel (Genesis 49:22-24).  The homework gave us three elements of Joseph’s relationship with the LORD as his Rock.  The Rock was: the source of his stability, the source of his strength, and the source of his safety.  We learned how these same three elements were also reflected in the relationship between David and Jehovah Tsuri.

The Rock as the Source of Stability

For who is God besides the LORD? And who is the Rock except our God? You provide a broad path for my feet, so that my ankles do not give way”. (2 Sam. 22:32, 37)

David knew that it was the LORD that gave him the ability to stand firm in the face of adversity.

The concept that God is the source of our stability is also found in the New Testament in Matthew 7:24-27.  It says in verse 24-25, "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. ”  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.”  This has such an important application to our own lives. We all want the LORD to be the source of our stability but it just doesn’t just happen. We need to actually walk in obedience to Jesus’ words.

The Rock as the Source of Strength

It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure. He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze.” (2 Sam. 22:33, 35). 

 Not only did the LORD give David strength, He also trained David for the battles he would face.  The homework suggests that the source of our strength is something we carry away from the spiritual battles we have fought.  As we go through trials with the LORD by our side we are strengthened for the battles that lie ahead.

The LORD was the Rock in the apostle Paul’s life. It says in 2 Tim. 4:16-17a “At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them.  But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength,” (2 Tim 4:16-17a).  Like Paul, there will be times that we feel we are left alone by those closest to us in the midst of hardship. We can stand on the promise that God will be at our side as well, giving us the strength we need.

The Rock is the Source of Safety

He said: "The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior— from violent people you save me. "I called to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and have been saved from my enemies.” (2 Sam. 22:2-4).

We learned that rocks and caves were often used as shelters or protective hiding places in the times which David lived.  David drew a strong symbolic parallel between the LORD his rock and what that relationship meant to him. We were reminded that although the LORD does call us to engage in the battle it is He who will bring us to safety.

Wrapping It Up

Before continuing, please take a few minutes to read Psalm 62. This psalm is a song of praise by David and reflects his relationship with Jehovah Tsuri.  We can see the same three concepts (stability, strength, and safety) reflected in Psalm 62 as we studied in 2 Samuel 22.

Stability: “Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.” (Psalm 62:2)

Strength: “One thing God has spoken, two things I have heard: "Power belongs to you, God.” (Psalm 62:11)

Safety: “My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.” (Psalm 62:7)

There is an awesome point to be made by comparing what we learned in 2 Samuel 22 to Psalm 62.  You’ll remember from 2 Samuel 22 :1, “David sang to the LORD the words of this song when the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul.”  We learned that David praised the LORD as the source of his stability, strength and safety after he was delivered from the hand of Saul. But the context of Psalm 62 is much different. The homework tells us that it is believed that this psalm was written in the midst of adversity, around the time that David’s son Absalom rebelled against him.  What does this tell us? That David’s perspective of Jehovah Tsuri remained the same through times of both victory or adversity.

We can truly apply what we have learned about David’s relationship with Jehovah Tsuri to our own relationship with the LORD our Rock.  As the homework pointed out, we probably all would like our words in the times of trial to mirror our words in times of victory.  We have the same capacity to trust the LORD as David did.  David didn’t look at his circumstances to tell him who his God was. He knew who his God was and he saw his circumstances through the eyes of faith. As you might recall, God declared David a man after His own heart!

My soul, wait silently for God alone, For my expectation is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be moved. In God is my salvation and my glory; The rock of my strength, And my refuge, is in God.  Trust in Him at all times, you people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us.” (Psalm 62:5-8, NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment