Friday, January 7, 2011

Passing the Baton

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where you treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Matthew 6:19-21

It’s funny how a random event can trigger thoughts that were long forgotten in one’s past. I sometimes think that these events are not as haphazard as we might think, but are ordained by God and the memories associated with them are rejuvenated by the Holy Spirit at just the right time. We are often not aware that in our mundane daily tasks that God is always there working all things together for His Glory. Every so often, God helps us connect the dots and get a glimpse of the bigger picture.

At least that is how it is for me. One Sunday, I was watching my two oldest grandchildren perform in a pageant at their church. There they were dressed in their best outfits standing on the stage singing their hearts out to Jesus. All the younger grandchildren were also there watching and either humming or bopping to the music depending on their age. It was a perfect grandma moment.

I found myself thinking back to when I was younger, much younger. As any child, I always loved to watch parades. I was not interested in the fancy floats or bright balloons. The baton twirlers captured my attention. I would watch the baton forming perfect figure eights, being tossed high in the air and then effortlessly landing in an agile hand. At that time in my life, my one and only goal was to be a baton twirler. One day my parents gave me a beautiful gold baton. Well it wasn’t long before I realized that there was quite a bit of skill and work required to master that baton. Eventually it was tossed aside and forgotten and became one of the many unattained goals in my life.

It was then that I realized that God had never intended for me to be proficient at twirling that gold baton. He did however entrust me with a spiritual baton. A baton that would far outlast and outshine any man made one. He enabled me to carry and skillfully keep it in the air as my children were growing and finding their own way through life. That spiritual baton has now been passed to my children. They are now relying on God to keep them from dropping the baton. As they skillfully twirl and keep it in the air, I can see its beauty reflected in their lives and in the lives of my grandchildren.

The earthly baton has long ago faded and rusted away, but that spiritual baton will continue for generations to come.

"Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who finds great delight in his commands. His children will be mighty in the land, the generation of the upright will be blessed."
Psalm 112:1b-2

Written by Susan

3 comments:

  1. Susan - With 2 teenagers who are in the midst of finding their own spiritual identity, your devotion was really, really encouraging. Thank you for reminding me of His promise in Psalm 112.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a baton twirler in grade school. Man, I used to love it! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This devotional took me back also in time, I also remember wanting to be able to twirl that baton, and also what work it was and set it aside and never did learn how to do it. Susan this devotional has given me hope as I have passed the baton on to my 3 children who are now just starting out in life with a family, the hope it gives me is to know God's promise's are real and true to all of us who believe, the hope it gives me knowing there is know one or anything better then to know I have passed on His promise's (the baton) to my children and it is solid as a rock. God Bless you Susan

    ReplyDelete