Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Bible memorization Project - Week 5

Today marks the half-way point in our Bible Memorization project. We are now beginning to memorize our fifth verse. Wow! It is hard to believe! When we began our project, the ground was snow covered and now the robins have returned with the approach of spring. For those of you on track – a round of applause! I’m sure your dedication to God’s Word is bearing fruit. For those of you who may have fallen behind - don’t give up!! It's natural when we take on any challenge to get discouraged when we feel we are falling short of the goal. You have the power of the Holy Spirit in you...you CAN do this! I challenge you to choose a verse today. Hide it in in your heart!

Today during Women's Bible study we were encouraged in our memorization project. A line of scripture really hit my heart. It is familiar to all of us, “But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves” (Jas. 1:22 NKJV). I was challenged to think about what it really means to be a ‘doer’ of the word. I think the ‘doing’ goes beyond a physical action to include what is going on in our minds. I admit that this can be hard for me.

I was saved when I was in my 30’s. At that time I had a profound change in my thinking. I would have said that, without a doubt, I believed that God’s Word was true. I think many of us would wholeheartedly believe that Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt. We believe that Jesus died on the cross for our sins, was resurrected on the third day, and will come again in glory. Yet do we believe with the same certainty that we should “..have no fear of bad news, his (our) heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord” ? (Psalm 112:7) Do we truly believe that we can commit everything we do to the Lord and that in trusting Him, He will help us (my paraphrase of Psalm 37:5)?

Memorizing scripture is an important spiritual discipline but we need to do more than just commit God’s Word to our memory. We need to live like we believe it. We need to speak like we believe it. We need to think like we believe it. Hebrews 4:2b says “but the message they heard was of no value to them, because those who heard did not combine it with faith”. God has given us the faith to believe His word. Hebrews 11:6 says “And without faith it is impossible to please God”. We have to make a choice. We can choose to believe our own thoughts or choose to believe God’s thoughts. I’m sure you are with me when I say “I want to believe God”.

Here's my verse for week 5:
"The LORD is my strength, my personal bravery, and my invincible army; He makes my feet like hinds feet and will make me to walk (not stand still in terror), but to walk and make spiritual progress on my high places of trouble, suffering, or responsibility." (Hab. 3:19 AMP)

So let's have your verses!! Please leave them as a comment below.

1 comment:

  1. O LORD, you are the portion of my inheritance and my cup. You maintain my lot. The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; yes I have a good inheritance. Psalm 16:5-6

    ReplyDelete