Thursday, January 10, 2013

Jehovah Rohi

This week in our homework we studied Jehovah Rohi, The Lord is my Shepherd. This name of God is found in Psalm 23, probably one of the most well known psalms to Christians and non-Christians alike. I’m sure most of us could recite parts of it by memory but do we really stop to ponder what God is trying to tell us about Himself through the words of David?

As we went through the homework, we studied each verse of Psalm 23 individually. Please take the time to meditate on your answers to each question. The homework was written so that you would come to know our God on a deeper level and how much He really loves and cares for you!

The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not be in want.” (Psalm 23:1)

The focus of the homework was one word found in verse 1, ‘want’.  This word is like an umbrella covering the verses that follow.  The homework gave us some food for thought. Do we really know what it is that we want?  Sometimes we feel restless and unsatisfied.  We want something but we don’t quite know what that something is. And what about the difference between a want and a need?  It was pointed out that imbedded in our theology might be the idea that God will give us what we need, not necessarily what we want.  Yet David writes in verse one that he would not be in want because the Lord was his shepherd. Perhaps this psalm is speaking about our ‘wants’ not really our needs. We all have soul wants.  Sometimes we might think it is a relationship, a promotion, or a house.  But is that what will truly give us deep-down satisfaction? 

The homework proposed that Psalm 23 reflects how our deepest soul needs will be met when the Lord truly is our shepherd.  ‘Rohi’ is the Hebrew word for shepherd. We were given the definition from the Zondervan NIV Exhaustive Concordance: “To be a shepherd, to care for flocks, graze; by extension; to rule with a focus on care and concern.”  Looking at this definition what do you think our primary want could be? How about ….to be cared for.  In your own life, do you think that the shepherd cares for you or do you still see yourself as self-sufficient?  Does the way that you live your life reflect that the shepherd does care for you?

He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters,” (Psalm 23:2)

If the shepherd makes me lie down in quiet places, what I want is rest. Do you take time to rest and be still?

“He restores my soul.” (Psalm 23:3a)

If the shepherd restores my soul, then what I want is restoration or wholeness.  At some time in our walks with the Lord we will go through very rough seasons and we may feel that we have to take a step back and allow Him to restore us. Has there been a time you have done this? Has there been a time that you pressed through?

He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.”  (Psalm 23:3b)

If the shepherd guides us in righteous living, then my soul wants someone to show me the way. Can you think of a time that you waited patiently for God’s guidance? What about a time when you jumped ahead?

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,  I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” (Psalm 23:4)

If the shepherd is with me and protects me as I go through ‘the valley of the shadow of death’, then my soul wants to experience God’s presence and His protection.  When you are going through hard times do you really believe that God is by your side even though you do not sense His presence?

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.”  (Psalm 23:5)

If the shepherd lavishes on me in the presence of my enemies, then what my soul wants is blessings from His hand.  Based on the Hebrew meaning of this verse, enemies could also mean distressful seasons.  Sometimes when we are in the midst of these circumstances we feel like we have done something wrong and we treat ourselves poorly based on this belief. How many of us are hard on ourselves, not reflecting God’s intention towards us at all?

Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.” (Psalm 23:6)

If the shepherd sees a future for me than my soul want is to know that there is a plan for my life. Can you think of a verse to hold onto that speaks of God’s intended future for you?

The final point made in the homework is David’s repetitive use of the words: I. me, or my.  From David’s words we know that the Lord was his own, personal shepherd. David had a relationship with Him. He trusted that the Lord knew of his wants and would satisfy the longings of his heart and fill the empty places.  The Lord wants to be our Shepherd. “I encourage you to let Him. Stop running around trying to fill whatever you feel is lacking apart from Him.  Ask Him to be your shepherd. He might not give you what you thing you need, but He will give you what your soul truly wants. And you will be satisfied” (A. Solomon, Jehovah Rohi).

“The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.” (Isaiah 58:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment