Friday, February 18, 2011

Encouraged to Persevere

A week or so ago, Evelyn, one of our sisters that attends Women's Bible Study on Tuesday mornings, shared this word of encouragement. I asked her to put it in written form so that it might minister to you through the blog as it ministered to us that morning. Be blessed!

Consider it pure joy, my brother, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing o your faith develops perserverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-5

As Monmouth Worship Center continues fulfilling God’s purpose, I’d like to share a few thoughts about overcoming challenges and persevering in Christ, our Lord. I’d like to reference the story The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper and apply Christian principles to its storyline.

http://ah_coo.tripod.com/engine_that_could.htm

As the story begins, we see that the Little Engine was moving along very well; pulling a very long train of cars until she reached a steep hill. Trying numerous times and unable to go up the hill, she is faced with the reality that her efforts are in vain with her limited engine capacity and needs to go for help.

How many cars are we pulling in our lives? How far can we go when facing challenges before we realize that we need God’s help? What is our “spiritual” engine capacity?

I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

As the story progresses, the Little Engine runs along the track, tooting her horn, seeking anyone who can help. She encounters two powerful engines that have the capacity to help yet refuse to do so. Though worried and saddened by the rejection, she is determined to move along until she finds someone who can help her get over the hill.

I will lift up mine eyes to the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from The Lord,which made heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1-2

In the story, the Little Engine was not deterred. She continued until she came across another engine with her same capacity. Willing to help, they both embarked up the hill with much effort until she reached the plains and was able to continue her journey.

What did the Little Engine have going for her?

She was on track, in God’s will. She had faith and was determined to get over the hill. She had the will to reach her destination though she lacked power.

What were the turning points for the Little Engine?

She acknowledged that she had limited engine power. She chose to disengage from the cars that weighed her down. She recognized that she needed help. She used her equipment; tooted her horn and kept moving forward. Prayer and action!

GOD hears our voice when we cry out to HIM. HE can settle our problems in an instant if HE chooses but there is much to be said about the process of climbing. It is when we see HIS grace and mercy forging spiritual maturity in us in order to equip us for future battles. It is in the climbing that we increase our engine capacity and we come to understand and experience the love of GOD. We see how GOD sends encouragers to run alongside us, to pray with us and stay with us until we reach a season of blessings. In Exodus 17:11-13 we see how Aaron and Hur stood beside Moses lifting his arms until the battle was won.

Women of Monmouth Worship, our landscapes may vary and in our journey, many of us have already crossed wide treacherous rivers, traversed deep canyons and may yet be climbing. It is through leadership, unity, prayer, worship and service that we fulfill GOD’S purpose in us. As we enter a new location, a new assignment, let us focus not on the challenges, but in GOD’S promise. HE will never leave us or forsake us.

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which GOD has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 3:12-14

The Little Engine That Could- I think I can!… I know I can!… with GOD’S help, I will !

No comments:

Post a Comment