Friday, February 25, 2011

Hard Things

Life is hard! The things that make it so, seem to come without warning. One day they just come knocking at your door uninvited and we as Christians often can’t do anything about it other than to pray and embrace what is ahead and allow God to glorify Himself through it.

Last Sunday, I had the joy of an outing to the MET (Metropolitan Museum of Art) in New York City. We spent most of our time in the Costume Exhibit (the main reason for our visit), the American Wing, and European Sculpture and Decorative Arts. What truly awed me was the artistry in this last section. It wasn’t so much the beauty but the detail. As I went from room to room, I couldn’t help noticing, over and over, the intricate and finer elements of craftsmanship.

I stumbled upon a picture in one of the French galleries that at first glance seemed awkward and out of place. It was a depiction of a woman whose facial features were a bit disproportionate. Of course, I had to get up close to figure out what qualified this picture to be hung in such a prestigious museum. As I drew near, I noticed that every bit of color on this piece of linen was from tiny stitches that the artist integrated to make what now became a portrait. Since I stitch, I was quickly overwhelmed with the brilliance before me. I couldn’t even comprehend the amount of time and effort that must have been spent on this piece. Keep in mind that there weren’t any magnifiers or special lighting to help illuminate the work back then.

I came away somewhat frustrated with myself after my time there. I have fallen into the prevalent mindset of our culture that easier is better. Why spend hours on something that can be reproduced with computer technology in an hour’s time. I fear that we have lost something in this generation. We no longer embrace the process of creating. We are focused more on the end product then on the process that brings us that product. We avoid what is hard while welcoming that which comes easily to us. What I fear even more is that I have carried that mindset into my spiritual walk with God.

The Word of God tells us that we are God’s workmanship (Ephesians 2:10). Could it be that God, the artist, is fashioning my life into a glorious work of art that would be a display of His splendor? Could it be the things that I view as too hard are really just my impatience in His process. I want things to change and become easy fast. I don’t want to spend hours and hours waiting on what the author of the work is up to. Fortunately for me, He isn’t moved by my need to hurry things along, His only concern is the magnificence of what He is doing.

In the book of Proverbs, there is much talk of wisdom. In several sections in that book, you will see wisdom personified. Read Proverbs 8:30 with me “Then I (wisdom) was the craftsman at His side. I was filled with delight day after day, rejoicing always in his presence, rejoicing in his whole world and delighting in mankind.”

Wisdom is the craftsman at God’s side and he delights in what God is crafting in us. Wouldn’t it be wise for me to take that same view? If God chooses to use the hard things that come into our lives as instruments to bring beauty, wouldn’t it be wisdom to respect the process as God, the master artisan shapes, molds and carves me into His masterpiece. Why not rejoice in what He is creating in my mess rather then wallow in the self pity that often seems to rule that moment? Wouldn’t it be wisdom to trust our Maker who loves me passionately, compassionately and unfailingly with those hard things?

Today is going to be a hard day. The knocking at my door arrived bright and early this morning. What if the beauty that God wants to cultivate in me this day is the kind of wisdom that chooses joy and delight, in spite of the hard things ahead? Do I trust the Master Craftsman? Do I trust that He is creating something beautiful in me? I think I will choose wisdom today and seek joy, how about you?

“In Him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory.” Ephesians 1:11-12 (emphasis mine)

5 comments:

  1. God has created beauty in all of us. We just have to look within to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Arlene, I USED to stitch a little bit, some cross stitch. I might like to take a lesson with you one day just to learn something new and maybe pick up the hobby again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realize that God's attention to detail and beauty is found in everything around us and can be seen in us even when we feel ordinary.
    Thanks for the encouraging words. We were created for HIS glory.
    Continued blessings sister,
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Filled with delight? I think of the pain and I just want it to stop hurting while going through the process. Maybe a change in view is the deal. I can delight in the Lord and then maybe the process won't be so hard. It will change my focus. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch. Guilty. I think I will need to keep re-reading this when I complain about the hard ways.

    ReplyDelete