Saturday, March 24, 2012

Twelve Words or Less

The day was fast approaching. I knew it was just a matter of time and I would have to face the inevitable. Every year, right around March, the confrontation waits. This time I was hoping that I would get through the ordeal a bit better but deep down in the very core of my being, I knew it wasn’t meant to be. It was the day on my Bible reading schedule where I would come face to face with Proverbs 17. It isn’t the whole chapter I dread, per se; it is just verse 28. It is the very last sentence in the chapter and it leaves me feeling taunted by its simplistic wisdom as I close out that passage of scripture. Wisdom that I have prayed that I would walk in but seldom do.

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.”

Can anyone relate? While God has graced me with a speaking gift, I just don’t seem to know when to quit it. But that isn’t the only verse that mocks me, there are more. How about?

When words are many, sin in not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.” Proverbs 10:19

The more words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?” Ecc. 6:11

A man of knowledge uses words with restraint.” Proverbs 17:27

Can’t you just feel my anxiety? My call is to speak but clearly these scriptures tell us that there will be a time when the ‘less is more’ principle applies. When will I learn that it isn’t the number but how notable the words are that bring revelation?. They don’t need to be plenteous just potent, not copious just convicting and not bountiful just brilliant and not superfluous but filled with the Spirit.

But try as I may, it seems that I have a wagon load of words that I never can seem to use up. People who study these things say that generally women use about 3,000 more words per day then men. When this statistic is alluded to, my husband always quips “and they must be used”. Men don’t seem to have the problem of left over words at the end of the day. I know I live with three of them. Maybe that is why I have so many extra; I feel that I need to use up theirs. I just hate to see anything go to waste.

It seems God never has this problem. In 12 succinct words found in Mark 1, God delivers a message that would transform the lives of not only those who heard it with their own ears but also for those of generations to follow. This message would be the kind that revolutionizes the course of spiritual and world history forever. It would alter men’s hearts eternally and ignite a furious love for God matched only by a supernatural response evidenced by a radical obedience. What were these 12 words?

And a voice from heaven said, ‘You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased’.” Mark 1:11

If you are familiar with Mark 1:11, you will immediately recall that this is the account of Jesus’ baptism where the heavens were torn open and the Spirit descended on him like a dove and God spoke. To appreciate Gods succinct and sufficient wording we first want to recognize that this one verse is taken from three sources in the Old Testament. In the Hebraic mind, when a portion of scripture was quoted, their thoughts would go to the entire passage surrounding that portion. Let’s take a moment to think the way a Jew, who witnessed this event, might think and explore these three slices from scripture together.

You are my son” comes from Psalm 2:7 where “the LORD” addresses the anointed King as His Son. At Jesus’ baptism he began His official role as God’s anointed King and Son.

"whom I love” may represent an Isaac/Jesus typology from Genesis 22:2, where Isaac is Abraham’s only son “whom you love”. Abraham’s willingness to offer his beloved son would be corresponding to God’s offering of his Son.

with you I am well pleased” echoes Isaiah 42:1, where the faithful and suffering servant of the LORD is identified as God’s chosen one.

Within these few words God was telling all those who were present that this man was God’s son as well as an anointed King. He was deeply loved by God and as Abraham gave up his son “whom he loved”, God was about to give up His son “whom He loved”. He also draws from one of the suffering servant passages found in the book of Isaiah that describes this servant as not only as one God is well pleased with but one in whom God’s Spirit would rest on. This servant would be humble, gentle and faithful, filled with justice and one who would not be discouraged until he has finished what He was sent to do. This man standing before their very eyes is, in a nutshell, God’s Son, King, Servant and Messiah.

I can only imagine what the Jewish scholars and theologians of that day must have thought. No doubt they were rendered speechless. I am sure they knew their scriptures and could present an argument well. They probably had spent countless hours debating and theorizing what the Messiah would be like. In spite of all their study and understanding, God managed to wrap the entire vision of this Savior in one concise sentence.

It wasn’t the number of words He used but how notable they were, they weren’t plenteous just potent, not copious just convicting, not bountiful just brilliant and not superfluous but of the spirit. Succinct and sufficient!

One day maybe I will be able to deliver such a potent message in just 12 words. Until then I am reminded by this scripture that it isn’t the amount of words I use for God that matters but the amount of God that is in my words.

God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let my words be few.”
          Ecclesiastes 5:2b

2 comments:

  1. Joy! You simply bring joy! :) The 'less is more' principle is well taken. To refrain from speaking when I shouldn't may be a challenge for me at times. The need for a speech comes easy to me. But... I'm reminded once again of God's word on the matter. Amen!
    Thank you Arlene. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand how you feel. I realize that I could say less and be better for it. Yet I love to talk and enjoy conversation. I am the only female in my home and my sons are 2 1/2 and 3 months old. I am far from my family and my best friend lives in England. So as soon as I can talk to someone else, I do- and wind up saying something foolish. I will find a way to incorporate the 12 words or less.

    ReplyDelete