Saturday, July 14, 2012

Duty or Delight - End of Week Three

Promises, promises. 

Boy: “But Dad you promised?”
Dad: “I never promised I would do that.”
Boy: ‘Yes you did.”
Dad: “When did I say that I would do that?”
Boy: “The other day you said that you would do that.”
Dad: “No, I said maybe I would do that.”
Boy: “See, I told you, you promised.”
Dad: “I said maybe.
Boy: “See you promised.”
Dad: “So, you think maybe is a promise?”
Boy: “Yeah.”
Dad: “Then what does no mean?”
Boy: “Maybe.”

Hmmmm.

Have you ever had this conversation?  Has anyone tried to hold you to something that you never actually promised to do?  No matter how you try to explain that you never actually committed to the thing, they are convinced that you did.

Now let me ask you this.  Have you ever been the boy in this conversation with God?  Have you expected Him to do something for you that perhaps He has never actually promised in His Word but you are convinced it is there?  For example, give you that beautiful house that is set on the hill that is way out of your financial league, or open up that position at work that you think for sure was made for you, or how about bringing you that gorgeous godly man you have had your eye on (never mind that he is already taken).  Have you ever believed that God would do something for you that wasn’t clearly stipulated in scripture?  Did you find it frustrating when it didn’t come to pass?  Did you feel like maybe God wasn’t being faithful to His promises?  Well perhaps you are like the boy in our conversation that thought a no was a maybe and a maybe was a promise. 

I think many of the things, when we really get down to it, that we are trusting God for are maybe’s.  They are the desires of our hearts that are birthed in the grey areas of scripture.   I have found myself “in the grey” more times then I would like to admit.  Trying to figure out if I can hold God to a clear promise for what I desire.  I love it when I can find a verse in scripture that just nails my request.  Because I am certain that God is faithful to keep His promise, I am most excited when I can find something that is that specific in His Word.  Then I know that it is mine.  No “maybes” about it! 

Do you sometimes get confused about this whole promise thing?  How do we know what God has promised us and what He hasn’t?  This past week in our homework we focused on six promises that we can receive and stand on.   Ones that we can, without a doubt, take to the spiritual bank.  No maybe’s just resounding yes’s.   They are:

1) God is our faithfulness.
2) God is our transformation.
3) God is our protection, always.
4) God is our Rock. 
5) God is our Counselor.
6) God is our inheritance, and we are His.

How I hope this past week has been a real boost to your faith as you meditated on this relationship we have with our Creator.  I have been praying that He has made what He has promised to you obvious as He ministered to you through His word.  I have been asking Him to expand your perspective to how He sees things and then wrap you in His love and comfort as He does. 

He loves you so and that is a promise!!

Here are your three updates for this week:
1) You will be starting on week four of the homework (boy that is so hard to believe) beginning on page 84.  The week’s topic is Knowing God Has Supplied Us.  If you want to learn how to walk in the power of the Spirit then this is the week for you.  

2) You confidence booster/memory verse is:
“I pray that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father would give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him.  I pray that the perception of your mind may be enlightened so you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the glorious riches of His inheritance among the saints.”  Eph 1:17-18

3) Lastly, here is your video:




We are half way through our study and I hope that you are enjoying your time with the Lord and with each other.  Great job ladies.  Keep at it.  Surprises await. 

Love you much!

God makes a promise; faith believes it, hope anticipates it, patience quietly awaits it.

No comments:

Post a Comment