Sunday, July 8, 2012

Duty or Delight - End Week Two

“I can’t get no… satisfaction”

Those song words have been playing over and over in my head this past week.  In my BC days, (before Christ) I might have been rocking and rolling with the music not paying much attention to what I was saying but enjoying the rhythm and radical mindset that gripped my generation.   Fast forward to June 2012 and it isn’t the rhythm that grabs me but the sentiment.  Amen Mr. Jagger.  Who knew you were so spiritual?  Were you aware when you belted out the words how true they were…at least spiritually speaking? 

This past week in our homework, we learned about how nothing will ever satisfy us quite like Jesus. 

Looking for satisfaction apart from God assails us all.  We look for it in positions we hold, places we live, vehicles we drive, addictions we practice, brands we wear, and knowledge we possess.  All idolatry and disobedience come from looking for satisfaction apart from Christ”  (Duty or Delight P39).

What is that you say?  “All idolatry and disobedience come from looking for satisfaction apart from Christ”.  Do you mean to say that my obsessive tendencies towards perfection and my covetous nature are really just a litmus test of where I am actually seeking my satisfaction?  When I prefer to manipulate and deceive those I love by coloring the truth to get what I want, am I really just seeking the satisfying outcome that comes from reaching my perceived goal?  When I choose to do things my way instead of walking in obedience to His way, have a just erected an idol of self-reliance?   Or is it when I yield my life and the outcome of my efforts to His power and perspective, there is where I will find the true soul filling satisfaction that I am after?  It’s there that I will realize that not only is He the giver of everything I need but He is everything that I need.

Hmmmm.  (This is me pondering.)

So here are the three things that you need to know this week:
1) You will start on week three of the homework Knowing God Has Promised Us on page 60. 

2) The memory verse for this week is:
“We have also received an inheritance in Him, predestined according to the purpose of the One who works out everything in agreement with the decision of His will, so that we who had already put our hope in the Messiah might bring praise to His glory.”   Eph 1:11-12

3) Here is this week’s video.





Love studying with you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment