Monday, June 27, 2011

"No Other Gods" - Week Two

Week One done!

Commence Week Two……

How did you do? Did you get through your first week of study? Did the Lord meet you as you tended to each day of homework? Has He been pointing His finger on some gods (notice little g) that you serve while professing that you worship the One true God.

Consider this definition from Ken Sande found on page 13

Most of us think of an idol as a statue of wood, stone, or metal worshiped by pagan people…In biblical terms, it is something other than God that we set our heart on (Luke 12:29; 1 cor 10:19), that motivates us (1 Cor 4:5), that masters and rules us (Ps 119:133; Eph 5:5) or that we trust, fear, or serve ( Isa. 42:17; Matt 6:24; Luke 12:4-5)…An idol can also be referred to as a “false god of functional god”. (emphasis mine)

Has He illuminated any thing that you have set your heart on that isn’t Him?

Is there anything that motivates you other then His divine pleasure and acceptance?

Is there anything that has mastered you or is ruling you other than Him?

Is there anything that you serve, fear or trust in that isn’t God?

Yeah me too. It has been rough week of study hasn’t it?

If your week has been like mine, I am suspecting that the Lord has been all in your business. He most likely been opening the closets in your heart and doing a little past due spring cleaning. Do you feel like He has been picking on you? Take heart!!

I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, so that it will be even more fruitful.” John 15:1-2

God is not cutting you off, He is pruning. Did you notice who He prunes? Those that already are bearing fruit! If God is pointing out anything in your life it is only to make you “more better”. His desire for you is to be even more fruitful then you already are. Yes pruning can be painful.

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it”. Hebrews 12:11

because the Lord disciplines those he loves.” Hebrews 12:6

God is taking the time to point out your idols because He loves you. He knows that this will be a difficult process but His intention is for you to “make room” for more of Him and with that is a harvest, notice not a basketful, but a harvest of righteousness and peace. Anyone interested? I am. God will never ask you to give up something that He won’t replace with something better. You have to commit to believe that. Do you?

I know that sometimes Bible study can get hard. Whether it be the time commitment or the weightiness of the subject matter, I want to encourage you not to give up. Don’t let the enemy have a victory over you. I have been asking God to give each and everyone of you a tenacious spirit as you co-labor with Him in your freedom. I know that He will bless you immeasurably for your efforts.

Ok so where are we at? We are on week two of our lessons. You will start on page 30 and read through Session 02 “Why Idols? Stealing time”. Then you will proceed to page 35 and begin day one homework, “Why Idols? Identity”. Once again there are five days of homework and you will have until July 5th to finish them. We will be meeting on July 5th in the chapel at 9:30 where we will spend some time in worship, have a nosh, love on each other and then we will divide into groups and go over some of the questions from the two weeks of homework. Be prepared to share with your group whatever insights you have gleaned in the last week. You will be told what group you will be in that morning.

On the last day of this week, Kelly points out that our journey in this study is meant to identify the things (idols) that are false, that lie, that kill, and that steal. She goes on to say “But if we stop there, we miss the point; to make room for God to live unrivaled in our hearts, shedding life, light, glory, healing, holiness, miracles, peace, and more things than I could ever write.” ( page 24)

If you agree and have not only identified an idol but are prepared to lay it down and “make room” for more of God, why not leave a comment saying so. It could be as simple as the two words “making room”. Let’s make a firm commitment before our God and then let’s watch Him do it!!! Amen?

Love you guys! T’is a joy serving you.

7 comments:

  1. I thought my idol was anger, but then read something that stated that there is an idol lurking behind anger. When I thought about it for a moment, I realized that the yearning for power/control is the idol that is at the root of the anger. Interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is showing me more than just idols and having me to look at things that go with them. The idol alone isn't the answer but the reason why it is there is another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On both comments, I found a similar thing. There was something behind what I had thought was the idol. It was something that I have lived with for so long, even before I became a Christian, that I feel like it is almost a part of who I am. I think being able to put a name to it is a huge first step.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clearly something to think about. Realizing that there are things that prevent me from making room for God will definitely shake my comfort level. Two words! Make room... I'm ready!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I knew my idols but god showed me that I need to repent and ask for fresh revelation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So grateful for today's NOGS Study. I had recently uncovered that a lot of my personal issues were due to fear. Now I am learning that Fear is only a feeling. Behind that fear is a god that isn't true and isn't real which is causing the fear. My friend tells me fears are not facts and that when I am fearful I need to find out what is causing that fear. I didn't know how? I am grateful that I will have the opportunity with the help of this study to uncover those root gods behind my fears and be able to put them behind me as I learn to walk a new walk on a new and better path with my Lord Jesus. I also look forward to building closer relationships with my sisters along the path.

    ReplyDelete