Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Courage To Pray

I have a problem with my prayer life. Actually I have several problems but one seems to loom over all the rest. Several years ago, I came across several scriptures that spoke about the hugeness of what God can and is willing to do in a believers life. One of which is Ephesians 3:20.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine,”

With the innocence and enthusiasm of discovery, I chose to start asking God to do the unimaginable in regard to answers to my prayers. I was determined that everything that I did for the Lord would magnify Him, especially when it came to this particular discipline. No ordinary answers for me. We have a super abundant God and I was expecting super abundant responses. I didn't presume to know exactly what He would do I would just literally ask Him to do the unimaginable.  I resolved that my prayer life would arise from mediocrity and would be the channel that God could display His glory.  

Do you see my problem? Not really. Well over the last several months I have been petitioning the Lord for one particular pressing need whose urgency became glaringly obvious. During that time the breadth of my confidence level ran from fairly secure to “Lord, I think I am going to have a nervous breakdown if you don’t show up soon”. As I was sitting on my couch one day, worrying to God, I was reminded of my requests for unimaginable answers to prayers. I felt the Lord whisper in my spirit “Isn’t this what you asked for?” Indeed it was.

You see, when you start asking for unimaginable answers to prayer, that means you can’t figure out what God is going to do. Otherwise, they would be imaginable answers to prayer. Do you see my dilemma? I am somehow more comfortable with my prayer life when I can figure out God’s plan A or plan B? It is amazing how my confidence deflates when there is no plan A, B, …..or Z in sight. Until then I hadn’t recognized that my prayer life had become like living on the spiritual edge. I guess when I weigh the pros and cons I really do want it that way. But I realized you need courage to pray in the realm of the unimaginable. It isn’t for the faint of heart.

David, the man after God’s own heart, would have understood my perspective. In 2 Samuel 7, we find David settled in the palace as King and he realizes, here he is living in a palace while the ark of God is residing in a tent. He purposes to build a “house” for the ark. But a word from the LORD comes to him through Nathan the prophet.

Go and tell my servant David, ‘This is what the LORD says; Are you the one to build me a house to dwell in?....The LORD declares to you that the LORD himself will establish a house for you.” (verses 5 & 11)

Pretty cool stuff. David purposed to do for God what God wanted to do for him. But something really interesting happens as David responds.

O LORD Almighty, God of Israel, you have revealed this to your servant, saying, ‘I will build a house for you.’ So your servant has found courage to offer you this prayer.” 2 Sam 7:27.

David was so taken back by what God wanted to do for him. It was unimaginable. This was something that he couldn’t even have thought to ask for. He was living on the spiritual prayer life edge, he was about to pray for the exceedingly abundantly more then he could ask or think kind of prayer. He realized he needed courage.

Now be pleased to bless the house of your servant, that it may continue forever in your sight; for you, O Sovereign LORD, have spoken, and with your blessing the house of your servant will be blessed forever.” 2 Sam 7:29

David wasn’t just asking for a literal house. He was petitioning God to bless His family line forever. The house of David as it were. This house was to be a royal house, a dynasty of kings. Was he aware of the weight of that petition? Did he know that through him would come the King of Kings? The Davidic Messiah?

So where does David get that kind of courage and boldness before God? He got it from God. God told him what He was going to do for him, he need only ask it. I wonder how often I shrink back from courage to ask for the things that God has told me already in His word that He wants me to have. Things like a life void of mediocrity, an ability to understand His word, wisdom, knowledge, strength, power, fullness of joy….. I recede from the abundance that He desires for me because the unimaginable prayer life takes courage. A courage of faith.

When it comes down to it, when I strip away all the spiritual masks that I hide behind, do I really believe that He loves me and wants to bless me? Do I really believe that His desire is to do the unimaginable in my life? Do I walk with assurance knowing that He has so much more intended for my life then I have the guts to believe Him for? I am not talking about the kind of belief that says well if I act like I believe it, it will happen. I am talking deep down in the very recesses of my belief system, if you were to watch my life; I live like I know it to be true. Not in a prideful arrogance but in a humble submission knowing that it isn’t because of my worthiness but because of His ability to love and bless beyond reason. Can I accept, in fact, that is the way it is with God?

My fear and anxiety over these last few months revealed how I believed God wanted to relate with me. If I truly believed His desire was to bless me beyond what I could think, then I wouldn’t have been so worried. To my credit, I did take the plunge into the beyond, choosing to not settle for mediocrity, but for abundance. It was the scariest spiritual roller coaster ride to date, but God did show up and I don’t mind telling you it was in the eleventh hour. (I am still talking to Him about that) He showed up with such brilliance even now it brings tears to my eyes. He is so much smarter then me and the way that He worked it all out commands nothing less then a standing ovation. I applaud the wonder of God. I stand amazed. His desire is, indeed, to love and bless beyond reason and to do the unimaginable.  And to Him be the glory!

Beware in your prayer, above everything, of limiting God, not only by unbelief, but by fancying that you know what he can do.                                                           
                                              Andrew Murray

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these spiritual truths. I find them encouraging. I have found myself second guessing the outcome of certain prayer requests. Similar to a plan A or a plan B scenario. I realize that it truly is God's timing, His method, for His glory. I've learned the difference between a mediocre prayer life and one that taps into God's power. I pray I will continue to grow in this area. I understand what's required of me. Again, thank you!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowie! thank you Arlene that was amazing. I am at a crossroad and I am so grateful for this blog tonight. I will be praying so differently tonight that I would have imagined. God can do mighty things, this I know, for the bible tells me so. I can forget that so easily sometimes, thanks for the teaching, I needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ephesians 3:20...my next memory verse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arlene -

    Thanks for sharing! This was very powerful and very encouraging. I am certainly praying with more courage! God is so awesome and his timing is so perfect. I had to read the devotional to Corey as well. I was so glad to hear about your husband's job offer! That is amazing! So I have already started reading "NOGS" and I will tell you the first day's reading is already really sticking with me & very challenging....I am starting early so I can take my time and make sure I get thru the homework :) I am going to post some thoughts on that on our MOPS blog soon. I am sure that this study is going to be a huge blessing to each woman!

    - Eva

    ReplyDelete