Tuesday, July 12, 2011

"No Other Gods" Week 4

Today we will begin week four in our study, ‘The Problem with Idols’ on page 76. It is hard to believe that at the end of this week we will have reached the half-way point! Our second meeting will be on Tuesday, July 19th. At this session we will be discussing weeks three and four. Just a reminder, if you were not able to attend our first meeting – please come on the 19th. We understand that summer can be a busy time. The way the study is structured is that each group discussion session is not dependent on the prior session. (This is not to say that we would love to have you at all of them!!) A plug for the homework as well – as you take the time to do it – God will meet you there.

Like many you, God has been using ‘No Other Gods’ in my life. As I was thinking about this yesterday I was so thankful to have the privilege of going through this with all of you and being able to relate to your own challenges. It is exciting to know that at the end of summer I (and you) will be different than we were at the beginning - walking in greater freedom by making room for God.

Day two of this week was entitled ‘Lies-Behind Every False God is Deceit’. I thought it was a powerful reminder of a common struggle we have. Kelly Minter explained the difference between what is true and what is truth. On page 62 she says “Satan will tell us what’s true, but he never tells us the truth”. On page 63 she asks us to reflect upon ‘a situation in which you are (or have been ) struggling between what is true and what is truth’.

I am putting this question out to you. Is there a situation you would like to share? An example from my own life is that there is a circumstance involving my kids that I have very little power over (and those of you with kids – I know I am not alone in this!!!). That is true. What God says about this circumstance is what is truth. He says is Psalm 138:8a “The LORD will perfect that which concerns me". My kids concern me so I am trusting Him to work in this.

So how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment